Tuesday 30 August 2016

Task 2: What has influenced me?

Every individual person on this planet has their own unique personality. This is because each person has a different set of experiences, beliefs, and talents. Culture plays a big role in shaping people. It helps them develop likes, dislikes, interests, beliefs, and friendships, and also increases knowledge and awareness. All the cultural influences in my life are important to me because they have helped shape who I am today and will continue to play a role in my growth as a person.

Food is an essential that humans cannot live without, and so, it makes sense that my taste in food and what has influenced it, are a big part of my life. I was born in Canada, but my parents immigrated here from Pakistan so I have grown up eating a lot of Pakistani food. This food is very flavourful and spicy, which is why I cannot bring myself to eat food that is on the blander side of the spectrum. This is why I often find myself eating Pakistani or Indian food, but is also why I also like food from other cultures that is also flavourful, such as, Greek food, Middle Eastern food, Mexican food, and Oriental food. One place that has influenced me greatly is a Greek restaurant called Souvlaki Hut. The servers at the restaurant are Greek, along with the décor inside the restaurant, and of course, the food. I feel that this has helped me learn a lot about Greek culture and gain a deeper understanding and appreciation for Greece, its people, and its culture. 

Greek food
Fashion has played a significant role in society for a very long time and is important to people. For many people, their clothing and how they dress, reflects how they see themselves and how they want to be seen by others. Many clothing brands are famous because they have a certain image, which is what people want to reflect by wearing their products. Living in Canada, wearing modern, westernized clothing is very common and thought of as the neutral standard by which all should dress. This is a standard that I also abide by, but I do like to dress in a bit more sophisticated manner than is considered typical. I think this is because I live very close to Toronto which is known for its high fashion. Some clothing stores I like to shop at are Banana Republic, Zara, and Simons. One place that has greatly influenced my fashion sense is Simons, which is a Canadian clothing store, because they have many kinds of different of clothing styles at affordable prices. Simons helped me find and develop my fashion sense and continues to help me maintain it. 


Simons
Although, people may take architecture for granted, it plays a big role in everyone’s life. In Mississauga, where I live, there are many buildings. There are many malls, buildings, houses, religious temples, and other structures all over the city. The oldest architectural structure in Mississauga is a house that was built in 1822 and is preserved as a historical site by the city. Mississauga is also famous for its Marilyn Monroe buildings, that are supposed to be shaped like the famous pop culture icon’s curvaceous body. Also, Mississauga City Hall was built similarly in structure to the farmhouses that once occupied most of the city. It is this city’s architecture that has helped me to appreciate both old and modern art forms.

Leisure activities are important for all people, because it gives them a chance to develop and enjoy hobbies, and relax and have fun from all of their everyday stresses. Common leisure activities in Canada are boating, kayaking or canoeing, swimming, skiing, snowboarding, skating, hockey, running, yoga, and many more. One leisure activity that has greatly influenced me is yoga, at Moksha Yoga Square One. It has helped me to become more fit, flexible, and happy. It has also helped me to better understand meditation and the religions that use it, and has also helped me to appreciate different ways of exercising both the mind and the body. 

Entertainment, whether it be in the form of movies, television, music, books, plays, radio, or anything else, is a big part of the lives of people of all ages. Most people have grown up consuming various forms of media through several different mediums. So, as a society, we have been exposed to entertainment from the moment we are born and are continuously encouraged to further consume it in life. It is something that is important to people because it has helped shape their personality. Going to the movies, watching TV, listening to music, going to concerts, and reading are all things that I enjoy and have always been encouraged to do so by society. Seeing, hearing, and reading about different kinds of people in different kinds situations at different locations and different time periods through all this entertainment really helps me to better understand humanity, gain better perspective of my place among people, and develop interests. 


Living in a country like Canada is truly a blessing because of the diversity and multiculturalism. Being exposed from a very young age to so many different kinds of people all from different places has really made me care for people and respect them. It has also made me learn a lot about different cultures and how they are a part of the Canadian lifestyle and identity. My immersion in Canadian culture and all the cultures that are a part of it, along with my Pakistani background, have influenced me greatly and have helped me become who I am today.

No comments:

Post a Comment